Ballynacarrigy is a small village approximately 15km from Mullingar town.
It has a population of 227 (2016)
Ballynacargy is thought to have been largely established in the mid 18th century by the Malone family of Baronstown, who intended to create a linen industry in the area. While the linen trade failed to thrive, the village gained a harbour on the Royal Canal which opened in 1817, and developed as a market serving the surrounding district. However, the origins of the village go back much further, and its immediate area includes some of the most important historical and archaeological sites in Westmeath. The first recorded reference dates from 1537 after the dissolution of the nearby monastery at Tristernagh Abbey.