Mullingar Rugby Club was founded at a meeting in the Central Hotel, Oliver Plunkett Street (opp. Tom Birmingham’s) in 1925 when a group of enthusiasts formed the club. Founders were J. E. Wallace, J Doyle, Dr. J. O`Sullivan, J Brophy, J M Winckworth and S K Brabazon. The first matches were played at the Showground’s which was part of the racecourse at Newbrook. Fixtures were played against Cavan, Kells, Ballymahon, Kilbeggan, Trinity and Shannon Buccaneers.
In 1935/36 due to a lack of players the club languished and stopped playing. Eight years later the club was reformed in April 1944 and since that date has always gone forward, although at times there were a few hiccups.
The first major success for Mullingar Rugby Club came in March 1947 when after beating Tullamore and Birr, the club went into the Leinster Towns Cup semifinal against Curragh Command. This game was played in Donnybrook, and was one of the last times a Towns Cup was played in Dublin. Sadly Mullingar lost 3-0.
The crowning moment for the club came in 1954 when we won the Towns Cup for the first time.