(Irish: Dealbhna or Dealbhna Mhór) is a town located on the N52 at a junction with the N51 Navan road. The town is 20 km from Mullingar along the N52. The word Delvin comes from Delbhna.
The 18-hole Delvin Castle Golf Club is located near the town. There are a bank, school, church, hotel/guest house, a few shops and a take-away in the town. There are also a few pubs on the Main Street. The town expanded and work on a development in the centre of the village recommenced. Plans were unveiled for the provision of a new sports and leisure facility within the village. Some outdoor facilities are expected to be available by Summer 2007, while plans for the multi-purpose indoor leisure complex are being prepared.
Places of interest
Clonyn Castle is situated on dominant ground south of Delvin between the N52 and the Collinstown road. An alternative access to the castle grounds exists on the Collinstown Road opposite the church.
The original Delvin Castle (or Nugent Castle), now a ruin, is believed to have been built in 1181 by Hugh de Lacy, Lord of Meath for his brother-in-law, Gilbert de Nugent. De Nugent came to Ireland with de Lacy in 1171 and settled on some land in Delvin. De Nugent was granted the title Baron of Delvin. The ruins of Nugent Castle remain near the centre of the town. A second castle was built several centuries later, hundreds of metres from the centre of the Delvin settlement of that time.